Sunday 4 October 2009

Internet Access in China - the Great Fire Wall

Apologies to all followers. Even though I now host this blog on a domain name because blogger was/is blocked. Contemporary Art Shanghai is inaccessible in China unless you have a proxy or personal VPN, which a lot of people don't.  It is very strange to write a blog to an audience that is on the other side of the Fire Wall, not the local art community. At the moment, I have access to blogger because I have a personal VPN but for the last few days even with this I can't access facebook or twitter. With a personal VPN or a proxy web surfing is super slow, basically accessing any sights that are outside of China have been 'made' very slow, similar speed to when the big internet cable near Taiwan that goes to the States got damaged. Sadly this censorship is not just about control of who says what, but about money, about which companies have access to the Chinese market, e.g. Chinese companies with state connections.

Frustrating!

Gladly, the internet is the only place where I experience any control over what I do or say really. Though exhibitions can be sensored - I don't know of any shows in particular but there is a feeling or sense that if you exhibit anything really outrageous overtly it will get closed down. I suppose most people just perpetually self sensor. It is not so much that they are just aware of the controling power but people here are nationalistic and, often rightly proud of their country.

No comments:

Post a Comment