Sunday 4 October 2009

ZendaiMOMA - Liang Shaoji 'You Si Miao - An Infinitely Fine Line'

Ok, so I'm cynical. Going to an exhibition about silk worms/moths in China is SO predictable and appears uninteresting. 'You Si Miao' - an infinite line. Just googled 'You Si Miao' to find a bit more about its historical references in Buddhism but couldn't find any. To get back to the show. Everything in the show related to silk and its life cycle but was then taken to a more seemingly philosophical level. I loved the large room, fully of data projectors projecting stunning images of skies just filled with clouds - my inner hippie was very happy. I think I would have preferred without the 31 days of the month LEDs made up of silk caccoons,  this piece would have had a quality about it similar to Turrell.




Upstairs was another great installation. First you walked into a dark room with two rows of silk cushions, each with headphones resting on them. There seemed to bits of rubbish on the floor, bits of paper. Then I walked over to a light that was lighting up an empty wall to see lots of moths collected in the light, some still alive. This was so natural and moving I loved it. Then I turned round to move into a back area of the installation to discover wood and straw stands and hundreds of moths. It was so cool. I didn't listen to the head phones. It is to me interesting about how much we access exhibitions, how much to we 'do' to actively participate to receive the work, sort of like going to exhibitions and not watching all of the video installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment